[rt-users] RT4 - mod_perl problem with apache2

20/20 Lab lab at pacbell.net
Tue May 31 11:18:20 EDT 2011

On 05/30/2011 3:09 AM, Robert Wysocki wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've googled it, some people also have this problem, but no solutions
> were provided by anyone.
> The problem is:
> testrt:/opt/rt4/etc# apache2ctl restart
> /usr/sbin/apache2ctl: line 107: 11712 Segmentation fault      $HTTPD
> ${APACHE_ARGUMENTS} -t 2>  /dev/null
> Syntax OK
> /usr/sbin/apache2ctl: line 107: 11715 Segmentation fault      $HTTPD
> ${APACHE_ARGUMENTS} -t
> Action 'restart' failed.
> The Apache error log may have more information.
> testrt:/opt/rt4/etc# /etc/init.d/apache2 reload
> Syntax OK
> /usr/sbin/apache2ctl: line 107: 11729 Segmentation fault      $HTTPD
> ${APACHE_ARGUMENTS} -t
> Action 'configtest' failed.
> The Apache error log may have more information.
>   failed!
>
> The way of restarting apache which doesn't cause error to be thrown is
> just:
> /etc/init.d/apache2 stop; /etc/init.d/apache2 start
> but it's, well, inelegant.
>
> The issue is probably related to Plack.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Regards,
Looks like its cause you have your $APACHE_ARGUMENTS set with a -t by
default.   On my system, apache2ctl wont restart my server with a -t
argument.   It does, however, restart it perfectly fine without the -t
argument.   Looking into the /usr/sbin/apache2ctl file, line 107 is
where it takes in the command line arguments.  Try clearing the
$APACHE_ARGUMENTS variable and try again.

And Kevin makes a valid point.  Version and distro information would be
very helpful.

Good luck,
Matt