[rt-users] ExternalAuth, local users, and upgrade woes

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Nov 8 19:03:35 EST 2011

On Tue, November 8, 2011 12:41 pm, Ruslan Zakirov wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Thomas Sibley <trs at bestpractical.com>
> wrote:
>> On 11/08/2011 02:11 PM, Izz Abdullah wrote:
>>> But yeah, setting the password = ‘’ actually forces the external
>>> authentication (trying to login with a blank password does NOT work).
>>
>> I believe properly the password column should be '*NO-PASSWORD*' not the
>> empty string.
>
> RT::User has method to check if password is set or not, it supports a
> few cases. I think ExternalAuth doesn't use it and a bug was reported.

As near as I can figure, when we merged the two databases the user table
got smashed together.

In 3.8.10, all users were local to the RT instance (all data stored in
mysql).  In 4.0.2, we went with AD authentication (ExternalAuth/LDAP).
Somehow the user table must have gotten corrupted.  None of my local users
can log in.  I cannot create local users.  Most of my ExternalAuth users
are OK, except for a few who cannot log in with their ExternalAuth
credentials, but can with their mysql credentials.

I only have about 20 active users, so it's not a big deal to clean it out
and start over if I need to.

We went live this week and I need to fix this quickly.  At this point I
can delete all the users if need be and have them start over.

What is the best way to proceed?

--
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year,
but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If