[rt-users] ExternalAuth, local users, and upgrade woes

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Wed Nov 9 13:07:16 EST 2011

On Wed, November 9, 2011 9:55 am, Kevin Falcone wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 09:45:20AM -0800, Yan Seiner wrote:
>> I've been poking around in the databases...
>>
>> In the virgin RT4 database (the one we created from scratch) the
>> password
>> field is varchar(256).
>>
>> In the converted RT3->RT4 database the password field is varbinary(40).
>>
>> In the original RT3 database, the password field is varbinary(40).
>>
>> I don't know enough about mysql but that doesn't seem right.  Can some
>> mysql gurus clue me in?
>
> It looks like you didn't run the database upgrade scripts.
> On 4.0.3 after running make upgrade it should tell you about
> make upgrade-database.  There is a step that the automated process
> runs which converts you to a varchar(256).
>
> There are a *lot* of important changes between 3.8 and 4.0 that happen
> at the database level, including lots of new columns and tables.

Unless I really screwed something up, this is the command I used.  It
asked me for which version to start from and then ran a whole bunch of
steps.

/opt/rt4/sbin/rt-setup-database -dba root -p --action upgrade

Is there another command I should have run?

How can I verify I ran the process correctly?

--
Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year,
but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If