[rt-users] Generating tickets by redirecting mail

Stefan Vollmar vollmar at nf.mpg.de
Tue Nov 29 02:17:04 EST 2011

Hallo,

I am new on this list and I did not find a solution to our problem in the mailing list's archive, sorry I have overlooked something.

We have just started using RT and are generally quite happy with our setup. We provide a web interface for one support queue that generates tickets, this works well. However, we occasionally want to open a case based on a mail we have received from a user (who does not have an RT account).

Forwarding the mail to RT works but the content of tickets generated in this way is awkward to read due to the indentations (quoted text). "Redirecting" the mail (an option of our mail client) yields a properly formatted mail, also it sets the original author as requestor - which we find useful. Unfortunately, it requires that "everybody" needs to have the right to create tickets. Is it possible to work around this problem, e.g. have RT check that the redirected mail was originally sent to one of RT's regular users?

Many thanks in advance for any help with this,
 Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Head of IT group