[rt-users] create tickets via email

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at jokefire.com
Tue Nov 29 20:09:30 EST 2011

hello list,

  I have built my company's RT server to the point where users can authenticate via LDAP as well as a postfix mail server on the RT host that you can use to send email to accounts intended for use with RT. This postfix server also has pop3 and IMAP functionality.

  However, I tried following the 'getmail' (not the fetchmail) portion of this tutorial:

  http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/Fetchmail

  I was able to have the email sent to RT downloaded via pop. It seems to go ok...

  [rt at host .getmail]$ getmail --rcfile getmailrc
getmail version 4.23.0
Copyright (C) 1998-2009 Charles Cazabon.  Licensed under the GNU GPL version 2.
SimplePOP3Retriever:rt at mm3.mlbam.com@rt.mm3.mlbam.com:110:
  msg 1/3 (1521 bytes) from <Tim.Dunphy at example.com> delivered to MDA_external command rt-mailgate ()
  msg 2/3 (1552 bytes) from <Tim.Dunphy at exmaple.com> delivered to MDA_external command rt-mailgate ()
  msg 3/3 (1560 bytes) from <Tim.Dunphy at example.com> delivered to MDA_external command rt-mailgate ()
  3 messages (4633 bytes) retrieved, 0 skipped

 The getmailrc file looks like this:

  [rt at monitor03 .getmail]$ cat getmailrc
[retriever]
type = SimplePOP3Retriever
server = rt.foo.example.com
port = 110
username = rt at foo.exmaple.com
password = secret

[destination]
type = MDA_external
path = /usr/local/rt4/bin/rt-mailgate
user = rt
group = rt
arguments = ("--url", "http://rt.foo.example.com/helpdesk", "--queue", "ops", "--action", "correspond",)

[options]
read_all = false
delete_after = 8
verbose = 2

 I have created resource configs for the actions comment, correspond and reply

  [rt at monitor03 .getmail]$ ls
oldmail-rt.mm3.mlbam.com-110-rt at mm3.mlbam.com  rtcomment  rtcorrespond  rtreply

 I've created a queue and dashboard called simply 'ops'. However when I send email to rt at foo.example.com and do I search for tickets none turn up and I get this reply from the RT server.

 No permission to create tickets in the queue

 It's a great opportunity to build an RT server for a company as large as this.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Tim