[rt-users] Ubuntu pkgs: passwd problem in rt-setup-fulltext-index

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Sat Oct 1 17:05:24 EDT 2011

Using Ubuntu 11.10 beta, installed the request-tracker4 packages (Thank
you, Dominic!).
Apparently a whole bunch of magic happens behind the scenes during
database setup thanks to Debian's dbconfig-common, which I utterly fail to
understand at this time.

After everything gets automagically configured, I wanted to add fulltext
searching support to the database, and ran rt-setup-fulltext-index.  It
detects I'm running postgres, asks me what table and which index type I
want, and then promptly fails with this:

      [Sat Oct  1 20:57:43 2011] [crit]: DBI
connect('dbname=rtdb;host=localhost','postgres',...) failed: fe_sendauth:
no password supplied at /usr/sbin/rt-setup-fulltext-index line 600
(/usr/share/request-tracker4/lib/RT.pm:350)
      DBI connect('dbname=rtdb;host=localhost','postgres',...) failed:
fe_sendauth: no password supplied at /usr/sbin/rt-setup-fulltext-index
line 600

Given that Postgres-9.1 in Ubuntu uses "peer" as the local authtype, no
password exists to supply in the first place.  If I su(1) to "postgres"
first, I can't run the tool because the postgres user can't read the
various RT config files.

Ultimately, this probably won't matter because I intend to migrate a
production database from an old server onto this server eventually, and it
already has the fulltext searching bits in its schema.

However, in the meantime, what am I missing here?  How can I use this tool
instead of manually adding the necessary schema bits?

Suggestion: for dbconfig-based scripts, upon detecting postgres,
automatically set up fulltext searching?

-Adam Thompson
 athompso at athompso.net