[rt-users] Searching for, and displaying, gecos field - how?

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Fri Oct 7 13:29:02 EDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 05:29:46PM +0100, John Line wrote:
> That allowed the ".gecos" to be passed through to the search and it
> found a plausible-looking set of results, but I couldn't find any
> way to get the gecos value included in the search results. I found
> mailing list discussions suggesting that I needed to create
> local/html/Elements/RT__Ticket/ColumnMap, based on the original RT
> versions but with some definitions added (based on existing
> entries). However, that didn't solve the problem. I also found the
> %FIELD_METADATA definition in Tickets.pm which looked like it may be
> relevant, but not making what seemed like the obvious change there
> made no difference to the results.
>
> Any suggestions of where else I may need to make changes, or
> pointers to existing instructions, would be very helpful. I suspect
> I may be fairly close to getting it working, but with one or more
> critical pieces of the puzzle still missing.

You don't want to make whole local copies of ColumnMap, you want to
use the callback in there to blow in a RequestorGecos key that returns
the relevant data.  Similarly, you can use the callback in
Elements/BuildFormatString to add that RequestorGecos column so users
can select it.  You can always test a field you added via ColumnMap by
using the advanced editor and editing the format before you deal with
adding it to the list of strings.

-kevin