[rt-users] New state - Developer resolved

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Mon Oct 10 11:48:30 EDT 2011

Hello Laura,

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Laura Grella <lgrella at acquiremedia.com> wrote:

> Would this scenario be possible:
>
> We have customer support queue open a ticket, and then the ticket gets sent
> to Software Development. We don't want software development to ever resolve
> a ticket if it was originated in the customer support queue. We want it to
> always end up in customer support so the support staff can first call
> customer to tell them the work was done.
>
> Can I remove the resolved button/option if the ticket started in customer
> support and is not currently in customer support and replace it with a
> resolved by development button/option if it is owned by development which
> will cause it to go to the customer support queue where they will then have
> to real option to resolve the ticket?

In RT 4.0 every status change can be protected with a new right and
that right can be assigned to groups.

However, in such setup I would recommend two alternatives ways for
support to comunicate with developers.

1) Developer comment required. In support queue supporters add
developers to AdminCc or Cc of a ticket when they need feedback from
developers. Setup rights, so developers can only comment on tickets in
support queue. For developers you setup saved search so they see
tickets in support queue where they are watchers. Also, you may create
additional custom field with values: "waiting for developer", "waiting
for requestor", ... . This way developers never interact with
customers, supporters bring in developers only when required and take
care of their awareness.

2) Bug fixing and development. When real development is required,
supporter creates a ticket in development queue and support request is
linked to development ticket. This allows you to link multiple support
requests to one development ticket, so you don't mix customers by
merging tickets and still tracks one development process through one
ticket. Developers can access all requests and via comments ask for
more info. Developers can communicate to each other via development
ticket. They can split development ticket into if problems are
different and as well split linked requests accordingly. As well, such
development ticket can be used to comunicate with Q&A team.

For sure it needs more time to setup such thing, but it works much
better than moving tickets between support and development.

--
Best regards, Ruslan.