[rt-users] RT 4.0.2 too much CPU hungry !

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Tue Oct 11 12:09:03 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 09:22:16AM +0200, Michele Pinassi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i've installed RT 4.0.2 in my office over a Debian. Here's apache2 SSL
> config:
>     PerlSetVar MasonStaticSource true

This is set by RT and has been for a long time

>     PerlSetVar MasonBufferPreallocateSize 2048000
>     PerlSetVar MasonDataCacheDefaults "cache_class=> MemoryCache,
> cache_depth => 4"
>     PerlSetVar MasonPreloads '/Elements/*'

What are these for?  Are they helping?  They're not standard parts of
a config.

You also don't show the config that says what kind of apache worker
you're using.

> The problem is that our apache2 istance use almost 100% of CPU and over
> 1GByte of RAM (plus some swap...):
>
>   PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>  6984 www-data  20   0 87936  62m 4016 R 99.4  6.1   0:07.03
> apache2
>
>  7012 root      20   0  2436 1136  896 R  0.7  0.1   0:00.14 top
>
> and web is very slow responsiveness...

Are you swapping?  Any time apache goes into swap, it spends a lot of
time swapping data in and out and that ends poorly.

If you cannot give the box more ram, you probably want to limit the
number of children apache spawns.

If you believe the CPU burn is coming from RT itself, you can enable
MasonX::Profiler as documented in RT_Config.pm and see what component
is taking the most time.

-kevin