[rt-users] DBD::mysq access denied

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at jokefire.com
Tue Oct 11 22:38:55 EDT 2011

Hello list!!

I am attempting to install rt4 but stalling at the point of initializing the database.. I feel that I am close to a solution but would appreciate any advice you may have to get past this point.

[root at VIRTCENT11:/usr/local/src/rt-4.0.2] #make initialize-database
/usr/bin/perl -I/usr/local/rt4/local/lib -I/usr/local/rt4/lib sbin/rt-setup-database --action init --prompt-for-dba-password
In order to create or update your RT database, this script needs to connect to your  mysql instance on virtcent09.example.com as admin
Please specify that user's database password below. If the user has no database
password, just press return.

Password:
Working with:
Type:   mysql
Host:   virtcent09.example.com
Name:   rt4example.com
User:   admin
DBA:    admin
Now creating a mysql database rt4 for RT.
Done.
Now populating database schema.
Done.
Now inserting database ACLs.
Granting access to admin@'virtcent11.example.com' on rt4.
DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Access denied for user 'admin'@'virtcent11.example.com' to database 'rt4' at /usr/local/src/rt-4.0.2/sbin/../lib/RT/Handle.pm line 441.
DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Access denied for user 'admin'@'virtcent11.example.com' to database 'rt4' at /usr/local/src/rt-4.0.2/sbin/../lib/RT/Handle.pm line 441.
make: *** [initialize-database] Error 255

During the installation attempt, after the database is created I can log into the database as the 'rt_user' account which in my case is 'admin' and use the rt4 database. _After_ I do this I run into the error

Granting access to admin@'virtcent11.example.com' on rt4.
DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Access denied for user 'admin'@'virtcent11.example.com' to database 'rt4' at /usr/local/src/rt-4.0.2/sbin/../lib/RT/Handle.pm line 441.
DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Access denied for user 'admin'@'virtcent11.example.com' to database 'rt4' at /usr/local/src/rt-4.0.2/sbin/../lib/RT/Handle.pm line 441.
make: *** [initialize-database] Error 255

this is line 441 of the file referenced above:

=head1 METHODS

These are the configure options I have used:

 ./configure --enable-graphviz --enable-gd --enable-gpg --with-db-host=virtcent09.example.com  --with-db-rt-host=virtcent11.summitnjhome.com --with-db-dba=admin --with-db-rt-user=admin --with-db-rt-pass=secret --with-web-user=apache --with-web-group=apache --with-apachectl /usr/sbin/apachectl  --localstatedir=/var/rt4 --sysconfdir=/etc/rt4 --prefix=/usr/local/rt4 --exec-prefix=/usr/local/sbin --withgroup=rt

I have passed the point of make fixdeps and all CPAN modules necessary to get RT4 working are installed.

Best!
tim