[rt-users] RT4 for ubuntu 11.10 will be out of date, how to get latest stable?

Allen allen+rtlist at crystalfontz.com
Wed Oct 12 17:58:06 EDT 2011

http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/request-tracker4 shows they are
going to release Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric with RT 4.0.1 instead of 4.0.2.

I want to upgrade our RT3.8.7 which runs on 10.04LTS but want to get
to the latest stable RT, not a version already months out of date. I
also prefer not to upgrade the OS off LTS right now if I don't have
to.

What is the best option for getting to the latest RT that will be the
least system administration?

1. Use apt preferences to pin request tracker to the stable
request-tracker4 package (v4.0.1) offered with Oneiric and suffer that
it is out of date ?

2. Add Debian Squeeze Backports source repository and install the
request-tracker4 package (v4.0.2) ?

Are there any problems / gotchas with installing a Debian backport on
an Ubuntu system?
http://packages.debian.org/en/squeeze-backports/request-tracker4

3. Manually install latest RT4 from source, configure, cpan, make
deps, fix deps ?

I am concerned that installing manually could end up putting some
software in one place, but that same software may already be installed
through the package system in some other place, creating conflicts or
errors when they get out of sync. Also, installing manually seems to
put much more burden on me personally for system maintenance and
updates when that work should just be done as a feature of the OS's
package system (apt-get update). Then later if the packages catch up
and I want to switch to them, I have all this duplicate manually
installed, untracked (and abandoned) software on the server.

With the first 2 options trying to install the latest RT on an OS that
is a year and a half old, am I just going to run into problems not
being able to install or update to newer software packages because
they are not going to be packaged for such an old OS? To get to the
newest RT by package, should I be upgrading the whole OS as well?

What are you other Ubuntu users planning to do to upgrade to or
install RT4 and why?

Allen