[rt-users] Best Practice RE Mail Server

Michael Coakley mike.coakley at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 09:25:11 EDT 2011

Wes,

I would let your current outside accessible mail server stay that way and do the configuration to move mail from your sendmail to RT and from RT to sendmail. There are a lot of reasons:

1. Simplifies the management of your firewall rules and forensic analysis of something happens.

2. Simplifies your patch management on Internet accessible mail servers.

3. If you stop managing the mail environment it is still very easy to manage. I.e. you won't have the new mail administrator messing with your RY server.

4. It's relatively easy and it is documented how to setup a mailgate alias on your sendmail server for getting emails into RT. so you are only really worrying about outbound mail using a local sendmail on your RT server.

Honestly the list goes on. After using RT for a very long time and sendmail for a good 10 years and managing security for many enterprises, it's the only way I would go.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone