[rt-users] Apache2 CPU hungry !

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Wed Oct 26 15:38:04 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 09:21:51AM +0200, Michele Pinassi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> my RT 4.0.2 installation is too CPU hungry, expecially for apache2
> threads. Here's the HTOP display of processes and threads:
> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/810/schermatagf.png/

That doesn't show high CPU usage, but it does show you being
dangerously close to swap.  When an Apache server starts heavily using
swap, you get into swap death where a lot of CPU is wasted copying
apache children in and out of swap space.

You either need to prune back your apache children to fit comfortably
in 1G of ram (and tune the max to never go above your memory
availability) or give the machine more RAM.  Keep in mind that a
default apache may spawn 8 children, but be able to spawn another 20+
children when required and that can push you off a memory cliff.

-kevin