[rt-users] Remove ticket number/tag from subject

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Wed Sep 28 14:18:23 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Kristofer Pettijohn
<kristofer at cybernetik.net> wrote:
>> The other problem such header matching creates is attaching email to
>> completely unrelated existing tickets when a person tries to create a
>> new ticket by replying to a ticket mail and clearing the subject and
>> content.
>>
>> This question comes up on the mailing list from time to time.  I suggest
>> you search the archives.
>
> That is an issue less than 1% of the time for us, which we can easily resolve in OTRS by clicking "Split" which splits that article into a new ticket.  Beyond that, we have done something where a new ticket is created if an old closed ticket over a certain time-frame is replied to.
>
> This particular situation has been the only nuisance with handling tickets this way, but it happens so infrequently that it hasn't been an issue.
>
> I do remember trying to manually code this message-id matching into RT about 10 years ago, and back in that day so many different email clients were in use and weren't following the "rules" per say, that it was too much of an issue to deal with.  I haven't had any issues with OTRS not matching an email to the correct ticket yet.  I think it may do a little more than just scan the headers, also, but I haven't had time to look at the code.  I was hoping RT would have been to that point by now, but maybe this could be an opportunity for me to contribute some code. :)

It wouldn't be that hard. Attachments have message id column. Only one
function is called to associate email with ticket, subject and full
mime entity are passed into it. This function as well can optionally
turn replies to closed tickets into new tickets. Subject tag also
installed in limited number of places. May be some templates still put
subject tag.

--
Best regards, Ruslan.