[rt-users] Memory leak (RT 4.0.5)

Austin Denyer adenyer at ekn.com
Wed Apr 18 08:07:21 EDT 2012

System:
RT version         4.0.5
Apache version     2.2.16
PostgreSQL version 8.4.11
Debian version     6.0.4
Kernel version     2.6.24-25-xen (64-bit)

All software is as supplied in the standard Debian repositories.

RT installation was upgraded from 3.8.7 using the rt-setup-database-4
script.

This is a Xen guest with 2Gb RAM allocated.

At the time of writing there are only 11,303 tickets.

As the system runs the available memory is slowly eaten up by Apache.
Even with just one active user, it can go from 1.1Gb free to needing
swap in under 2 hours, and sometimes less than 1 hour.

Most of the time the memory can be freed with apachectl graceful,
however, sometimes a full apachectl restart
is needed.

Here is some sample data before and after a reload of Apache:

Before reload:
PID     DRS     RSS     %MEM
2914    628234  400104  19.0
19202   628234  393904  18.7
19220   1089194 575868  27.4
19248   1138122 554844  26.4
                Total = 91.5

After reload:
PID     DRS     RSS     %MEM
2914    628234  400104  19.0
19556   628234  393896  18.7
                Total = 37.7

I've GTFW and not found any solutions.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

Note - I have a previous installation using 3.8.7 that runs fine.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks.

Regards,
Austin.
--