[rt-users] Memory leak (RT 4.0.5)

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Apr 18 10:31:07 EDT 2012

On 18 Apr 2012, at 13:07, Austin Denyer wrote:

> System:
> RT version         4.0.5
> Apache version     2.2.16
> PostgreSQL version 8.4.11
> Debian version     6.0.4
> Kernel version     2.6.24-25-xen (64-bit)

I've not used the Debian packaged version - is it using mod_perl, or mod_fastcgi or mod_fcgid?  I found that using mod_fastcgi we had severe memory leak problems, so yes there does seem to be a memory leak in RT, but I don't know where.  However, I mitigated the problem by switching to mod_fcgid in the Apache config, because it has useful knobs you can tweak to tell it to start new CGI processes every so often, or after a certain number of requests have been handled.  Thus no individual RT server process now lives long enough for the memory leak to be a significant problem.  Here's my /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/fcgid.conf:

<IfModule mod_fcgid.c>
  AddHandler    fcgid-script .fcgi
  FcgidConnectTimeout 20
  FcgidIdleTimeout 300
  FcgidProcessLifetime 3600
  FcgidMaxRequestsPerProcess 1000
</IfModule>

My RT web server is an Ubuntu 10.04 VM with 2GB RAM also, on a setup with about a quarter of a million tickets.

We run the MySQL database server on a separate VM.

Tim