[rt-users] Extending the RT UI

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Mon Aug 13 10:48:19 EDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 02:39:19PM +0200, Martin Drasar wrote:
> I have browsed the RT source and it seems to me, that the final
> processing of ticket attachments to display is done in the
> Ticket/Element/ShowMessageStanza component. There is a callback called
> that passes a reference to an attachment content, so it seems to me that
> providing my callback to alter it would be the best way to do it.
>
> My questions are following:
> - Is this the right approach to extend the UI?
> - If not, what would you suggest?
> - If so, how can I create/hook/use the callback?
> According to the documentation of lib/RT/Interface/Web/Request.pm that
> defines the callback function, all callbacks are in
> /Callbacks/<any_dir>/CallbackPage/CallbackName. Should the /Callbacks
> dir be in main RT directory or could it be somewhere in the
> /rt_dir/local? Also what is the true purpose of <any_dir>? The
> documentation uses MyExtension as an example, but the name 'MyExtension'
> is apparently not used as a discriminator or anything...

You're on the right track, you may find this useful:
http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/CustomizingWithCallbacks

In general, if you're not writing an extension, your callbacks go in
/opt/rt4/local/html/Callbacks/YourUniqueCallbackName/path/to/callback

As you've noted, YourUniqueCallbackName isn't tied to anything, it's
just there because two extensions can use the same callback, but they
need to be in distinct paths for mason to find them.

-kevin