[rt-users] How To Assign IP to Incident Report From Subject Line?

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Mon Aug 27 13:21:03 EDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:47:27AM -0500, Hayes, Bert wrote:
> Howdy, List.  I'm running RTIR 3.0.0rc1; I'm super-new to RT but
> super-experienced with incident handling and hacking on Perl.
>
> I have an automated process that emails RTIR various alerts on various
> systems; each email is for a single system and its IP address is
> included in the subject of the alert.  When I take the ticket, this
> creates an incident report.  I already have a field in the incident
> report for the IP address, but I'd like that field to automatically be
> populated with the IP address that's listed in the subject line.
>
> This has probably been covered before; my Google-Fu is sharp, but my
> understanding of RT is still dull.

Since RTIR already searches the content of the email for IP addresses
(and automatically stores them in the IP Custom Field) I'd probably
make a local modification to lib/RT/Action/RTIR_FindIP.pm in my local/
directory to look in Content and Subject.

That particular Action module could be refactored to make looking in
multiple places easier.

-kevin