[rt-users] Installing RT via Puppet

Mr IT Guru misteritguru at gmx.com
Tue Aug 28 16:40:48 EDT 2012

On 28 Aug 2012, at 16:35, Duncan Hutty <dhutty at allgoodbits.org> wrote:

> On 8/28/12 8:47 AM, Robert Blackwell wrote:
>> We use puppet to configure RT in a CentOS world. I will see what we
>> can contribute to this create idea.
>>
>> Do you want to start a github repo for it?
>>
>> I really look forward to having this done in the community.
>>
>> Puppet managed RT++
>
> I'm the person who wrote the puppet code that Robert is referring to
> that manages RT on CentOS. It has been on my list to publish this once
> it's ready. At the moment, it will probably be considered ugly,
> un-idiomatic, incomplete and not sufficiently generic... however, it
> _is_ currently capable of building a relocatable RT instance from a
> recent RT repository tag and installing some RT extensions.
>
> I need to clean it up to:
> * remove some company-specific code/details
> * cope better with perl module dependencies that I currently deal with
> by having a local, company specific yum repo.
> * correct the documentation
> * use puppet forge conventions for publishing modules
>
> And I need to publish another puppet module that I have written that
> is a dependency: pgsiserver. But it's coming and hopefully sooner
> rather than later.
>
> - --
> Duncan Hutty
> http://www.allgoodbits.org

Good Evening Duncan!

Thanks for dropping a line on the list. It would be great to have some discussions off list, I guess along with any other interested parties, on what angle you took to solve this tas. My thinking is that the more eyes that look at a problem, and the more different ways employed to solve it should have the net effect of making everyone a bit smarter in the long run.

I hadn't even though about installing extensions via puppet, but of course, it makes sense!

I also think that it could be a good community thing if we could collaboratively build something that benefits all, so I do look forward to getting something out there.

Thanks