[rt-users] Matching exclusively on Ticket #

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Mon Dec 10 16:26:28 EST 2012

On 12/10/2012 10:23 AM, Samuel Leslie wrote:
> Is it possible to match incoming email to RT exclusively on ticket
> number? Right now we have subject tags in the form of [domain.com.au
> #1234] and the "domain.com.au" portion needs to be present for RT to
> correctly file the email under the associated ticket. Ideally, we'd like
> to be able to have emails routed to the correct ticket based purely on
> the unique ID of the ticket without any dependence on the $rtname setting.

Not checking that $rtname (or the equiv) matches and solely relying on a
ticket # is going to break horribly the first time your RT instance
talks to another RT instance in the wild.  It'll also break if someone
submits a ticket along the lines of "I have a problem with part #1234".

There are some good reasons for distinguishing the ticket number with a
name tag.