[rt-users] Multi-tenant

Dominic Hargreaves dominic.hargreaves at it.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 13 05:24:29 EST 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 09:05:34AM -0800, Thomas Sibley wrote:
> On 12/12/2012 08:12 AM, CB wrote:
> > Thanks. I understand that it's possible to have multiple queues. Is it
> > possible to have a multi-tenant setup i.e. one RT install with each "tenant"
> > having its own environment e.g. domain, users, admin rights etc. Each tenant
> > can log in to its own domain and administer the system (for themselves
> > without affecting anyone else). From what I can see there is one local
> > config file for all of RT and it's not possible to specify multiple domains.
>
> Short answer: No.

Slightly longer answer: maybe, depending on definitions?

Whilst RT has a notion of a single domain, you are free to route emails
from other domains into the system (and have queues set up to respond
with those addresses). Together with the fine-grained permissions model,
and the subject tags on queues it may be possible to configure a single
RT instance which would meet the OP's requirements (although I guess
user admin would be the one sticking point, so it might be necessary
to arrange for a separate user provisioning add-on to support the
specific use cases).

> Why would you prefer a single monolithic RT instance rather than a
> handful of separate ones?

Efficiencies in administration overhead and hardware requirements
(depending on the relative volume of transactions, of course) are two
that spring to mind immediately.

--
Dominic Hargreaves, Systems Development and Support Section
IT Services, University of Oxford