[rt-users] Multi-tenant

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Thu Dec 13 15:04:36 EST 2012

On 12/13/2012 02:33 AM, Shuvam Misra wrote:
>>> Why would you prefer a single monolithic RT instance rather than a
>>> handful of separate ones?
>>
>> Efficiencies in administration overhead and hardware requirements
>> (depending on the relative volume of transactions, of course) are two
>> that spring to mind immediately.
>
> Would tend to agree. In fact, I was quite taken aback by the earlier
> question. If one needs to run half a dozen separate RT installations
> (separate domains, separate user lists, etc) and the software allows
> you to run all of them from a single database and on a single server
> (i.e. multi-tenant support), will anyone want to set up separate servers
> then? I would have thought the reverse question is the natural one.

Perhaps it's our different perspectives.  :)  Multi-tenant support (as
you can start to see from the followups in this thread already) is full
of thorny issues that add an astonishing amount of development and
maintenance complexity and overhead.  It's much simpler from many
perspectives to avoid that complexity by relying on physical separations
(VMs, virtual hosts, etc) to achieve separate instances.

There's no reason you have to setup entirely separate servers for each
tenant (although you may want to for other reasons); you can run
multiple copies of RT on the same server just fine.