[rt-users] Multi-tenant

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Thu Dec 13 15:26:42 EST 2012

Am 13.12.2012 um 21:20 schrieb Thomas Sibley <trs at bestpractical.com>:

> On 12/13/2012 10:42 AM, Shuvam Misra wrote:
>> I too was wondering what would I do if I took a browser-based app like RT
>> and needed to run multi-tenant setups on a single physical server. One
>> option is of course virtualisation, but another could be just running an
>> Apache with multiple virtualhost setups. Can one install multiple copies
>> of RT in multiple directories, and make them connect to the same PG or
>> MySQL database server but use various different databases? So, in short,
>> we will have one Apache daemon listening on five different domains using
>> its VirtualHost feature, then redirecting accesses to five different
>> physical copies of RT running on five different port numbers and storing
>> their config files etc in five different directories. And at the
>> back-end, all five RT instances would talk to the same database server on
>> the same database port number, but would connect to five different
>> databases.
>>
>> Will this work?
>
> Yup, works great.  That's essentially what we do.  You'll want a
> mod_fcgid, mod_fastcgi, or reverse proxy deployment.  You can't use
> mod_perl to run multiple copies of RT because of the global Perl
> interpreter state.

I think it would be possible, if you ran multiple instances of the whole Apache:

http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/RunningMultipleApacheInstances

(on various 127.0.0.x aliases) and then run yet-another apache with mod_proxy in front of them).

Would be interesting to know how well that actually scales - and how to limit the CPU consumption of each instance.