[rt-users] Can't call method "id" on unblessed reference - please help

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Wed Dec 26 12:40:36 EST 2012

On 12/25/2012 06:02 PM, Eugene Panich wrote:
> Recently all of my RT's users are getting "An internal RT error has
> occurred. Your administrator can find more details in RT's log files."
> In the log file there is a error:
> Can't call method "id" on unblessed reference at (path_to_rt)/lib/RT/Interface/Web.pm line 343. ((path_to_rt)/lib/RT/Interface/Web/Handler.pm:208)
>
> Does anyone know how to cure it?

Ten to one cPanel is running on the same host.  Recent updates to cPanel
modify a core Perl library, changing standard behaviour to something
non-standard.  This breaks many other software packages which rely on
the standard behaviour, including RT.

We have an open ticket about this
<http://issues.bestpractical.com/Ticket/Display.html?id=21765> but it
really isn't our bug, it's cPanel's.

As a workaround for cPanel's non-standard patching of your system perl,
I'd suggest building your own perl install just for RT to use.  It will
then be isolated from cPanel changes breaking it.  A common place is to
install the perl for RT under /opt/rt4/perl/.  You can use perlbrew
<http://perlbrew.pl/> to build perl for you.