[rt-users] [rt 4.0.4] Unable to change status from New -> Open

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Fri Feb 3 16:58:38 EST 2012

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 02:21:22PM -0500, Jeff Blaine wrote:
> >Because having an RT_SiteConfig.pm that is the same as RT_Config.pm
> >means that RT can never tell you if you overrode the setting.
>
> Sure it can.  In those rare needs, the code can just compare
> the value in RT_Config.pm to the one in RT_SiteConfig.pm.
> If they're the same, it was not overridden.

That's not how RT's Config system works.
If you'd be interested in providing a patch to support this,
lib/RT/Config.pm is the right place to start.

> >Also keep in mind that RT can read from 3, 4 or even 5 local config
> >files so you can keep your setting distinct.
> >
> >Having a sparse RT_SiteConfig.pm also makes it trivial as a sysadmin
> >to tell what you've changed locally, especially when looking back
> >through your source control.
>
> Isn't that what revision diffs are for?
>
> But okay.  Just had to throw the idea out there.

You have revision diffs, I do too, that's an unusual situation.
Also, when you're handed an 8 year old RT install, it's easier to tell
what the maintainer who left 5 years ago did.

Again, the solution is probably to push more things into the DB where
we can have better control.

-kevin