[rt-users] Preferred Perl version for 4.0.x?

Steve Sisak sgs-lists at codewell.com
Mon Feb 13 14:30:17 EST 2012

At 1:18 PM -0500 2/13/12, Kevin Falcone wrote:
>  > RT 3.x won't compile on Perl 5.12 and wants Perl built
>>  single-threaded and with other special options -- giving RT a
>>  private Perl install to chew on works fine, however. The RT docs
>>  don't seem to have been updated in a long time.
>
>I run RT 3.8 and 4.0 on 5.12.3 as my standard testing perl, on Lion
>and previously on Snow Leopard. It works fine.

It's been awhile since I messed with this, but to be absolutely
specific, I was doing a migration of RT 3.4.4 to 3.8.3 and discovered
that 3.4.4 contained a bunch of calls deprecated in Perl 5.12 and
wouldn't pass tests until I backed off to Perl 5.8.9, so this could
have been fixed any time after 3.4.4.

In any case, I'm planning on bringing up RT 4.0.5 this time and happy
to give it whatever Perl it's most happy with.

>  > Lion Server ships with 5.12.3, but running CPAN on Apple's default
>>  Perl install can leave your server non-functional with no way to get
>>  back w/o reinstalling the OS.
>
>That sounds like a fascinating Apple bug that I haven't encountered.

Or you could call it a CPAN "feature" :-)

I agree that there ought to be a way to restore the system Perl back
to what was shipped/qualified.

>  > I'm about to build a new server based on 10.7 (Lion) and plan on
>>  bringing up a fresh RT instance -- since I'm giving RT a private
>>  Perl, would like to give it exactly what it wants.
>>
>>  If anyone wants it, I'll post the recipe once I get the server back on line.
>
>As far as I know, RT will pass tests on 5.8.3 or greater, but you'll
>almost certainly have a better toolchain experience if you use
>5.12.3 or 5.14.2.

That's the answer I was looking for.

>We've deployed RT for clients against custom built 5.12.3 and 5.14.2
>without issue (including on OS-X server).

Are there any special options you recommend?

For reference, the Perl build commands I ended up with for building
into /usr/local/perl-5.8.9-rt on 10.6 are copied below as they may be
generally useful.

Thanks,

-Steve

-------------

rm ./config.sh # prevent crud from accumulating
export SDK=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk
./Configure -ds -e -Dprefix=/usr/local/perl-5.8.9-rt -Dman3ext=3pm \
	-Duseshrplib -Dinc_version_list=none \
	-Dusedtrace \
	-Dcc=gcc-4.2 \
	-Accflags="-arch x86_64 -pipe -nostdinc \
		-B$SDK/usr/include/gcc \
		-B$SDK/usr/lib/gcc \
		-isystem$SDK/usr/include \
		-F$SDK/System/Library/Frameworks" \
	-Acppflags="-arch x86_64 -pipe" \
	-Aldflags="-arch x86_64 -Wl,-syslibroot,$SDK" \
	-Alddlflags="-arch x86_64 \
		-bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup -L/usr/local/lib"

sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/lib # shut up warnings if it doesn't exist
./build
make
make test
sudo make install