[rt-users] Apache2.2 won't start at boot. RT4.0.4 on debian 6

Glenn McNeill rtir at kyoukoku.net
Thu Jan 12 12:45:45 EST 2012

Hi,

I'm having a major headache trying to get apache2 (for a clean install
of RT4.0.4, on a clean install of Debian 6.0.3)  to start at boot.

If I leave the default apache site enabled, with no RT site in the
config, then apache will start at boot with no problem. If I enable
the RT site and disable the default one then apache will not start at
boot.

However there is absolutely nothing in **any** log file to suggest
that apache has even attempted to start, let alone why it has not
started.

I can start apache manually by running "/etc/init.d/apache2 start"
which works perfectly.

I've followed the RT4 install readme to the letter and I've gone
through the whole process from scratch (and I mean installing debian
from scratch) at least 4 times now and it's getting frustrating to say
the least.

My RT site apache conf is as follows, and is only different from the
default as suggested in web_deployment.pod in that my "VirtualHost"
has been changed to my own:

<VirtualHost rtir.abuse>
     ### Optional apache logs for RT
     ErrorLog /opt/rt4/var/log/apache2.error
     TransferLog /opt/rt4/var/log/apache2.access
     LogLevel debug

     AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

     DocumentRoot "/opt/rt4/share/html"
     <Location />
          Order allow,deny
          Allow from all

          SetHandler modperl
          PerlResponseHandler Plack::Handler::Apache2
          PerlSetVar psgi_app /opt/rt4/sbin/rt-server
     </Location>
     <Perl>
          use Plack::Handler::Apache2;
          Plack::Handler::Apache2->preload("/opt/rt4/sbin/rt-server");
     </Perl>
</VirtualHost>

I use the commands a2ensite & a2dissite to enable/disable both the
default apache site and my RT site

There doesn't seem to be any other reports from anyone else having
this issue so what the hell is going on, and how do I fix it?!

Cheers,
Glenn