[rt-users] "General" vs. "Staff" vs. "Administrators" (Rights)

Kenneth Crocker kenn.crocker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 16:10:10 EST 2012

Jeff,

The rights offered by RT for managing Queues/tickets are categorized in a
way that is most common to general use.

That doesn't mean you can't grant an "Administrator" right to someone that
isn't a manager or anything like that.

The best thing to keep in mind about these rights is "how does granting
this right affect security/integrity of the ticket?".

Keep in mind that the environment you have will drive the way you design
your workflow and therefore security.

If you have a very small workforce using the tickets and the process you
want is mostly open to all, you could probably disregard most of the
categories of these rights, with the exception of superUser.

Do you want just anyone to be able to modify the status of a ticket? Make
comments on a ticket? Delete a ticket?

Do you have a large workflow that is segregated by groups of users that
have specific types of tickets to work on? If so, you want to be security
conscious about who can do what to which tickets and who oversees the work
on the tickets.

Is your environment software support? If so, the integrity of these tickets
and who did what ti who will be important to your auditing department.

Let me know what you are using RT for, your application and work
environment, etc. and I'll offer what help I can.

Kenn