[rt-users] Child or nested queues

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Jan 20 14:30:12 EST 2012

On Fri, January 20, 2012 11:08 am, ktm at rice.edu wrote:

> I do not think that nested queues are supported. One way to handle it
> would
> be to have a base X, Y, and Z queues with a custom field defined to
> partition
> the tickets. Then use saved searches and dashboards to give you an
> effective
> view as if you had child queues.

That's one fallback.  I'd have to figure out how to do ACLs based on
custom fields.  Each "partition" would have to have an ACL so that, for
example, the contractor cannot see the discussions between the design team
and the owner.

Another fallback is to have an X queue, and then an RFI queue.  Each RFI
would be a child ticket of a ticket in the X queue.  Again, ACL is a
concern.

Lastly, I could just brute force it and create an X queue, an X-RFI queue,
and so on.  That would solve the ACL problem but it would create an awful
lot of queues.  A hierarchy of queues would let me make it more
manageable.

I realize that RT was not really designed to be a construction project
management software package like Constructware, but CW has so many
drawbacks that it makes RT a good alternative.

--
On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into
the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not