[rt-users] rt-mailgate

Landon Stewart lstewart at superb.net
Mon Jan 23 15:27:10 EST 2012

On 9 January 2012 10:34, Robert Nesius <nesius at gmail.com> wrote:

> I made a recently change to how my apache2 server was configured to
> redirect all requests through https.  Now emails are not flowing through to
> RT - I tracked the issue down to rt-mailgate complaining about not being
> able to verify the certificate.  I'm a little perplexed on how to proceed
> or how to verify what certs/CAs rt-mailgate is using, or if there is an
> issue with the Crypt::SSLeay module (which I had to force install due to a
> failing test).   I only have one openssl install on the system, and I
> thought Crypt::SSLeay would reach through to those configs for things like
> CA certs, etc...
>
> Perhaps an easy workaround, since the mail server and apache2 server are
> on the same machine, would be to configure a "localhost:80" virtual host
> within apache2 and bypass SSL when accessing RT via that url.
>
> Any helpful hints/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.   I've been
> google-ing away but haven't had any luck yet.

We simply use mod_rewrite to redirect everyone *except* the server itself
to https.  This way when rt-mailgate calls http://rt.ourdomain/com it is
not forced to use https while everyone else is.

# Redirect everyone except the rt-mailgate and RT utilities to https
   RewriteEngine On
   RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} !^10\.10\.227\.209$
   RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ https://rt.ourdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

The 10.10.227.209 is the IP address of the server according to ifconfig
eth0 in this case.

--
Landon Stewart <LStewart at Superb.Net>
Manager of Systems and Engineering