[rt-users] DB upgrade errors from 3.8.9 to 4.0.4

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Wed Jan 25 15:42:11 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 04:32:54PM -0400, Kim Pedersen wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I have a 3.8.9 RT RPM based (Mandriva) installation runnning on
> Postgres that I wanted to upgrade to 4.0.4, and get away from RPM
> based distribution of RT at the same time.
>
> I downloaded the 4.0.4 tarball, resolved the dependencies, and ran
> configure & make upgrade successfully, installing to the default and
> clean location of /opt/rt4
>
> I cloned the postgres rt3 database to rt4 beforehand using the
> following commands:
> --
> CREATE DATABASE rt4 TEMPLATE rt3 ;
> ALTER DATABASE rt4 OWNER TO rt ;
> --
>
> Then I ran make upgrade-database, and got the following output
> listed below, which looks good until I get to 4.0.1 where it
> complains that column "delegatedby" does not exist.
>
> I can see others have posted on this list about the same problem
> when upgrading, but they have been installing RT4 on top of their
> old RT3.
>
> And from what I can gather from the database upgrade scripts,
> "delegatedby" was dropped in version 3.9.3 (Based on Schema.Pg), so
> should I just ignore the error output, or do you have any words of
> wisomd/guidance on how to proceed from here?

Your error appears to be because your 3.8 install is being loaded
along with the 4.0 install:

> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.1/RT/ACE_Overlay.pm line 650
> (/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.1/RT/ACE_Overlay.pm:553)
etc etc, others trimmed.

ACE_Overlay.pm is a 3.8 file, it doesn't exist in 4.0

You'll need to remove the RPM install, use another server, or use
another perl to install 4.0 on this system (this is one of the many
problems with installing RT into the standard system perl paths, which
is the technique used by the RPMs).

Also, I wouldn't trust that any part of the upgrade ran properly,
since having 3.8 libraries loaded on top of the 4.0 libraries
guarantees some failures.

-kevin