[rt-users] Rt 4.0.4 - can rt-extension-formtools modify layout of ticket fields?

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Tue Jan 31 11:56:45 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:15:41AM +0100, Jim Lesinski wrote:
>    As I understand it currently, we can integrate a custom web form via the rest interface to
>    capture end user input.
>    Ideally I would like to arrange the default portal forms in something other than a single or
>    two column layout.

This is what RT-Extension-FormTools was designed to do (except it uses
the normal RT API, rather than the REST API, and runs inside RT so
that it can track who is logged in and include that information in the
ticket).  It's intended to be used in place of the normal SelfService
"Create New Ticket" links.

>    Additionally I would like to arrange the owners view of the fields to more
>    than a single or two column layout.
>    I was hoping formtools would assist in achieving this. I have read other articles suggesting
>    the use of a custom page which is redirected to based on the queue that is loaded.

Unfortunately, the owner view inside RT these days is mostly limited
to that one or two column view.  There are a few extensions to move
things around, but RT-Extension-FormTools really isn't the solution
you're looking for here.

There are callbacks in place to allow you to rejigger the Custom
Fields on Modify.html or insert them into Update.html, and folks often
make a number of customizations using them.

-kevin