[rt-users] Look for Existing ticket based on external RT Subject Tag

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Fri Jul 6 08:17:42 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Joseph Moles <jbmoles at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running RT 4, and we have a external service provider that has their own
> RT system.  When they create a ticket to us, their RT sends the notification
> to the email address associated with our RT.  The problem is that their
> process is to send a notification on create, then send a message immediately
> after with the details.  This generates two tickets in system.  Has any one
> written or modified one of the scrips to look for an existing ticket with
> the subject tag from an external RT system, before creating a new ticket.
> Basically implement the similar logic that is used for internal subject tag,
> but basically same IF (Ticket with External Tag Exists) -> Update Ticket;
> Else Create new ticket.

You need to configure/code extracting other system's tag into CF or Attribute.
RT comes with a scrip to do it, but I don't know how suitable that is for your
case. RT extracts ticket id in one place in lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm function
ParseTicketId. This is the right place to implement any other association
based on anything you like. First argument of the function is Subject and
may be it's the only one, but you can always find all places where it's called
and add whole message object as the second argument.

--
Best regards, Ruslan.