[rt-users] perlbrew/cpanm installation on centos 6

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Fri Jun 8 11:34:57 EDT 2012

On 06/08/2012 10:20 AM, Natxo Asenjo wrote:
> In a test environment I have installed rt 4.0.6 with a local Perl
> (5.14.2) from perlbrew. Installing the dependencies with cpanm was a
> breeze, I must say, impressive.

Yep, I wish more folks used this setup.  It's never resulted in
dependency hell for me.

> If I try mod_fastcgi with the configuration on the web_deployment.pod I
> get errors (selinux is disabled):
>
> (13)Permission denied: FastCGI: failed to connect to server
> "/opt/rt4/sbin/rt-server.fcgi":

So, did you try to fix the permissions?  I suspect it's as simple as the
user apache is running as can't read/execute rt-server.fcgi and the
whole directory tree above it.  You may need to change the group on files.

To do that easily, re-run ./configure from the source tarball with the
appropriate --with-web-user and/or --with-web-group options and then run
make install again.  You can find your original configure options at the
top of /opt/rt4/etc/RT_Config.pm.

SELinux makes things slightly harder and more frustrating, though still
possible of course, but it's disabled, so you don't have to worry about
that.

> The mod_proxy way looks promissing, but is it a correct way? Is anyone
> else running rt from a non system Perl and apache2 in rhel/centos?

Reverse proxying is certainly an option, but apache + fastcgi is a very
very common setup that works solidly.

Thomas