[rt-users] RT3 (solaris) to RT4(linux)

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Jun 11 10:26:01 EDT 2012

On 11 Jun 2012, at 15:05, Thomas Sibley wrote:

> On 06/11/2012 08:33 AM, Asif Iqbal wrote:
>> I like to do a test migration. How do I start with 600 newest tickets
>> instead of doing
>> a migration test with all 1 million+ tickets?
>
> Your test migration really should use all your data so you know how long
> it'll take, what the downtime will be, and so you can sanity check that
> the oldest data migrates over OK.

I'd break the migration into pieces, and do it in sections.

1)  Migrate the database from HP-UX to Linux, using the same version of MySQL you're currently using.  Dump and restore is safest, but you can do it more quickly by shutting down the database and copying the table files to an identically configured MySQL instance on the new machine (at least, identically configured as far as InnoDB settings are concerned).

2)  If you're happy the new database looks good, reconfigure your HP-UX RT web service to talk to the copy of the database on the Linux server.

3)  Now, set up a new RT web server, running the same version of RT as you're currently using, on the Linux server (or a separate one, if you're keeping them separate  - I have the web server and db on separate VMs, but that's up to you).

4)  Test the new web server to check it's working.

5)  At this point, upgrade the new database server's MySQL version, taking note of the UPGRADING.mysql document that comes with RT to check that there are no gotchas that you might have to deal with.

6)  Test the new web interface again.

You can do all the above as a trial run, without affecting your production server.  If you're going to do the real switchover, you will have to block access to your RT by both web and mail while you perform the migration, so that you don't lose any incoming tickets during the transition.

7)  Once you're sure it's working, you can adjust your web front ends and mail delivery setups to deliver production traffic to the new web server.

The above is the procedure I followed for migrating our service from Debian Lenny to Ubuntu Lucid.  I haven't migrated to Precise yet.

Regards,

Tim