[rt-users] can the RT database be failed-over to an alternate site?

Carson, Leonard lcarson at sdsc.edu
Fri Jun 29 14:09:51 EDT 2012

Hello,

We are about to implement RT as a core service and want to add its DB to an existing Postgresql cluster which we fail over to an alternate site when we think that the DB service will be unavailable for more than 2 hours due to power loss or network failures or some other unfortunate event.   The Postgresql write ahead logs are rsynched to the alternate site and applied to the DB there which is in stand-by mode.   When we promote it to the primary we change DNS service name entries to point to it.  It takes about 30 minutes to execute a fail-over.

We will be running  RT 4.0.6 on CentOS 6.2 x86_64 and the database will be Postgresql 8.4.7 on RH Linux.

Has anyone run RT in this kind of environment?

best regards and thanks in advance,

L. K. Carson
San Diego Supercomputer Center