[rt-users] Upgrade question

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Fri Mar 2 09:40:05 EST 2012

On 03/02/2012 07:50 AM, Joe Harris wrote:
> We are a virtual shop so I am wondering if I simply clone our 4.0.4
> system, change the name, IP, postfix mail settings and aliases, dump
> and load the database (to a new name) and upgrade the db to 4.0.4
> will it work?  Or do I need to recompile/reconfigure the software and
> change --with-db-database=newdbname?
>
> If I need to reconfigure, is there a simple way of doing that without
> having to go through the entire installation?

You can clone the VM your RT 4.0.4 is running in, but you should also
reconfigure RT and run `make upgrade` again to install any changed files
(before `make upgrade-database`).

When RT installs, it writes into files a few things grabbed from your
./configure line.  To reconfigure (without having to reinstall all the
deps) and make sure you don't miss any changes, you'll want to re-run
./configure on the cloned VM with your tweaked options
(--with-db-database for starters).  You can find the previously used
./configure incant at the top of /opt/rt4/etc/RT_Config.pm.

You might also take the opportunity to upgrade to RT 4.0.5 at the same
time. :)