[rt-users] Open ticket VIA URL (Create.html) without authentication

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Thu Mar 15 11:54:44 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 08:51:25PM -0500, Seann wrote:
> I am researching a method that I can use to open a ticket from a web
> page not hosted on the RT system I have set up. I would rather not
> use email unless I absolutely have to.
>
> The interface I am working on is an Ajax enabled content filter
> block page. It has an option to request that a site be unblocked in
> line to the page. I want that unblock request to drop into a ticket
> without the user interacting with the RT system.
>
> I am using jquery as the core of my JavaScript, which intercepts the
> submit button click, and posts the data to RT. Everything works
> perfectly, except RT issuing a 302 back to my script, which is due
> to authentication (this was validated through a packet capture).
>
> I have two options, to push this create ticket request without
> authentication or to figure out how RT expects authentication in
> relation to ticket creation requests.

A standard RT expects authentication as username/password.  You can
look at how issues.bestpractical.com implements the Login as Guest
button using JS to get an idea of what you might need to do.  You
may be able to post the appropriate parameters along with your
create request.

However, email would make it easy to set the Requestor properly as the
user submitting your form.

-kevin