[rt-users] Buildind rt4 while logged in as an AD user

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Mar 26 17:11:56 EDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Thomas Sibley" <trs at bestpractical.com>

> >   --with-my-user-group
>
> If you're setting up a development RT instance on your own machine,
> --with-my-user-group makes sense. If you're setting up on a production
> box or a testing server for a production box, you shouldn't use
> --with-my-user-group. It especially doesn't make sense to specify
> --with-my-user-group alongside --with-web-user, --with-web-group, and
> --with-rt-group since --with-my-user-group overrides them.

Got it.

> > It's relatively clear to me that the build machinery does *not* contemplate
> > usernames which contain spaces and backslashes, as winbind usernames and
> > group names will -- and probably not ones which don't exist on the local
> > machine, either.
>
> This doesn't surprise me, as the parameters aren't quoted so the shell
> eats backslashes. If you remove the --with-my-user-group option from
> your configure, you'll actually start using wwwrun, www, and rt as you
> specify in the other configure options.

And I modified the Makefile.in to:

# This is the group that all of the installed files will be chgrp'ed to.
RTGROUP                 =       "@RTGROUP@"

# User which should own rt binaries.
BIN_OWNER               =       "@BIN_OWNER@"

# User that should own all of RT's libraries, generally root.
LIBS_OWNER              =       "@LIBS_OWNER@"

# Group that should own all of RT's libraries, generally root.
LIBS_GROUP              =       "@LIBS_GROUP@"

WEB_USER                =       "@WEB_USER@"
WEB_GROUP               =       "@WEB_GROUP@"

Which seems to have mostly-fixed that problem, though I'm not sure whether
it's enough.

I am, though, suddenly being nattered at about FCGI prereqs, which I wasn't
before, and which I don't expect to, since I specified modperl2 as my handler.

It'd be real odd if that wasn't because of my changes, though I can't imagine
why they might be connected.  Syntax coloring suggests that I didn't miss any
close-quotes, though.

Thanks, Thomas.

Cheers,