[rt-users] Nginx + R-T 3.8.10 + static FastCGI on CentOS 6.2: Can't start FastCGI service

Chris Doherty Chris.Doherty at ca.flextronics.com
Tue May 1 11:32:08 EDT 2012

Hello, all.  Having some difficulty with a FastCGI setup.

start.  If I manually execute 'perl /usr/sbin/mason_handler.fcgi', it
*does* run correctly and emits the html for the R-T login page.

Detail:

It is a site standard that web apps must be fronted by nginx and run as
a FastCGI process on a socket.  Our site standard Linux is CentOS 6.2
x64.  RT-3.8.10 is packaged for CentOS by the EPEL group, but starts
with the assumption that you'll be running under apache and using
PostgreSQL for the back end DB (neither of which are true here).

I have been trying to set up an nginx+FastCGI stack for R-T, but
although there's documentation around the 'net, it's either extremely
out of date or is Ubuntu-specific.  I have tried modifying things to
match CentOS without success.

What I have done so far:

Disabled SELinux (off by standard on internal servers).

Installed the following packages (mix of EPEL and CentOS) and their
prereqs: mysql-server perl-FCGI perl-CPAN make rt3 rt3-mailgate

Disabled the httpd service.

Created MySQL database for R-T, assigned privileges, and preloaded with
data from a testing R-T instance (running successfully on Ubuntu).

Installed the CommandByMail extension (this requires make and
perl-CPAN).

Setup the /etc/rt3/RT_SiteConfig.pm:
------------8<---------8<-----------------
# dynamically find out the current timezone
my $zone = "UTC";
$zone=`/bin/cat /etc/timezone`
    if -f "/etc/timezone";
chomp $zone;
Set($Timezone, $zone);

# THE BASICS:
Set($rtname, 'tt.our.site');
Set($Organization, 'our.site');

Set($CorrespondAddress , 'helpdesk at our.site');
Set($CommentAddress , 'helpdesk-comment at our.site');

# THE WEBSERVER:

Set($WebPath , "/");
Set($WebBaseURL , "http://tt.our.site");

# THE DATABASE:

# map from dbconfig-common database types to their names as known by RT
my %typemap = (
    mysql   => 'mysql',
    pgsql   => 'Pg',
    sqlite3 => 'SQLite',
);

Set($DatabaseType, $typemap{mysql} || "UNKNOWN");

Set($DatabaseHost, 'localhost');
Set($DatabasePort, '');

Set($DatabaseUser , 'rt');
Set($DatabasePassword , 'Password');

# SQLite needs a special case, since $DatabaseName must be a full
pathname
my $dbc_dbname = 'rtdb'; if ( "mysql" eq "sqlite3" ) { Set
($DatabaseName, '' . '/' . $dbc_dbname); } else { Set ($DatabaseName,
$dbc_dbname); }

# EXTENSIONS
# CommandByEmail
Set(@MailPlugins, qw(Auth::MailFrom Filter::TakeAction));
Set(@Plugins,(qw(RT::Extension::CommandByMail)));
Set($CommandByMailGroup, 9804);

1;
--------------8<------------------------8<-------------------

Set up the /etc/nginx/conf.d/tt.our.site.conf file:

--------------8<------------------------8<-------------------
server {
        listen          80;
        server_name     tt.our.site;
        root            /usr/share/rt3/html;

        location / {
                index           index.html;
                fastcgi_pass    unix:/var/run/rt/rt.sock;
                include         /etc/nginx/fastcgi.conf;
                fastcgi_param   PATH_INFO       $fastcgi_script_name;
        }

        location ~* .+\.(html|js|css)$  {
                index           index.html;
                fastcgi_pass    unix:/var/run/rt/rt.sock;
                include         /etc/nginx/fastcgi.conf;
                fastcgi_param   PATH_INFO       $fastcgi_script_name;
        }

        location /NoAuth/images/ {
                alias /usr/share/rt3/html/NoAuth/images/;
        }
}
---------------8<-----------------8<-----------------

Created an initrc file for the rt3 service, /etc/init.d/rt3:

---------------8<-----------------8<-----------------
#!/bin/sh

# rt3 - this script starts and stops the perl-FCGI RT3 daemon
#
# chkconfig:   - 85 15
served as a FastCGI module.

   RTPATH=/usr/share/rt3/
   RTUSER=nginx
   FCGI_SOCKET_PATH=/var/run/rt3/rt3.sock

   case $1 in
       start)
           echo -n "Starting RT: mason_handler.fcgi"
           cd $RTPATH
           export FCGI_SOCKET_PATH
           su $RTUSER -c perl /usr/sbin/mason_handler.fcgi &
           echo
           ;;

       stop)
           echo -n "Stopping RT: "
           PIDS=`ps axww | awk '/[m]ason_handler.fcgi/ { print $1}'`
           if [ -n "$PIDS" ]
           then
               echo -n kill -TERM $PIDS
               kill $PIDS
               echo
           else
               echo RT not running
           fi
           ;;

       restart|force-reload)
           $0 stop
           $0 start
           ;;

       *)
           echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/rt3 { stop | start | restart }"
           exit 1
           ;;
   esac
------------------------8<-----------------------8<------------------

Permissions on /usr/share/rt3 are 755 nginx:nginx all the way down
Permissions on /var/run/rt3 are 755 nginx:nginx

As I mentioned, if I run 'chkconfig rt3 on; service rt3 start' then the
process doesn't actually start (possibly it's starting and then
immediately exiting, but I'm having trouble trapping that).

If I run perl /usr/sbin/mason_handler.fcgi, then I get a non-fatal
warning followed by the Login page HTML:
[Tue May  1 15:25:12 2012] [warning]: Use of uninitialized value $method
in string ne at /usr/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/Utils.pm line 40.
(/usr/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/Utils.pm:40)
Set-Cookie: RT_SID_tt.our.site=08ca69d885bfb72426c13aa4b80fc95f; path=/