[rt-users] RT 4.0.8 on Ubuntu 12.04 release config error help

Dominic Hargreaves dominic.hargreaves at it.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 6 10:56:46 EST 2012

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 10:39:18AM -0500, testwreq wreq wrote:
> I am following installation instructions from the README:
> http://bestpractical.com/rt/docs/latest/README.html
>
> RT configure command failed with the following error on my new ubuntu
> install. I will appreciate if anyone can advise a way to proceed further?
> What is the fix for this error?
>

> root at rt:/rt/rt-4.0.8# ./configure --prefix=/rt --with-web-user=www-data
> --with-web-group=www-data
> checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
> checking for chosen layout... relative
> checking if group rt3 exists... not found
> checking if group rt exists... not found
> checking if group www-data exists... found
> checking if database name is set... yes
> checking if database name is valid... yes
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl.exe... no
> configure: error: in `/rt/rt-4.0.8':
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> See `config.log' for more details

I imagine the quickest way to proceed will be to first run

apt-get install gcc

as root.

However I am a bit confused as to why gcc is being required, as I
don't believe any native code is being compiled. Does autotools just
assume that it will be needed at some point or is it left over from
long ago when there were SUID wrappers?

Cheers,
Dominic.

--
Dominic Hargreaves, Systems Development and Support Section
IT Services, University of Oxford