[rt-users] xml:rss ... missing

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Nov 6 12:01:17 EST 2012

On 6 Nov 2012, at 16:54, Tim Cutts <tjrc at sanger.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 6 Nov 2012, at 16:46, testwreq wreq <testwreq at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> After running fixdeps, got an error:
>>
>> SOME DEPENDENCIES WERE MISSING.
>> MASON missing dependencies:
>>        XML::RSS ...MISSING
>>                Can't locate XML/RSS.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.14.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.14 /usr/share/perl/5.14 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /rt/rt-4.0.8)
>> make: *** [testdeps] Error 1
>>
>> How should we install this dependency?
>>

> apt-get install libxml-rss-perl
>
> should sort it out for you.

In general, you can do the above for a large proportion of the perl modules RT needs - it really depends on whether your preference is for what fixdeps does, or whether you'd rather install Ubuntu packaged modules.

There's a standard naming convention for perl module packages in Debian/Ubuntu; you take the name of the main name of the module, say, Foo::Bar, and:

1) lower case everything (foo::bar)
2) and replace the :: with - (foo-bar)
3) prefix lib (libfoo-bar)
4) postfix -perl (libfoo-bar-perl)

and that's the name of the Debian package for that module.  There are a few exceptions, where the overall CPAN package name is different from the names of the actual modules, but they're rare.

You can also use the 'apt-file' package in to find which package provides any file.  To use this:

apt-get install apt-file
apt-file update

Now, you can search for a particular perl module.  This time, you have to actually use the specific filename the module would have.  For example:

$ apt-file search XML/RSS.pm
libtemplate-plugin-xml-perl: /usr/share/perl5/Template/Plugin/XML/RSS.pm
libxml-rss-perl: /usr/share/perl5/XML/RSS.pm

Regards,

Tim