[rt-users] how to do multiple separate approval sources

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Tue Nov 6 13:49:52 EST 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 04:00:18PM -0500, Aaron Zuercher wrote:
>    Hi all,
>    My school district has been using RT for IT for many years with great success. We are looking
>    to expand the use and add approvals. I have setup a basic approval queue and am testing that
>    but I'm not sure how to expand it to cover multiple buildings.
>
>    Here's the use scenario: We what principals of each building (7 total) to be able to approve
>    tickets from the staff of just their building. I have setup a custom field in the tickets
>    where they requester can select the building they are in. Is there a way to script the
>    approval so that if custom field = building 1 then approval goes to principal 1, etc? Or do I
>    need to setup separate queues for each building?
>
>    I'm confused about what is the best approach to this problem. Any advice is appreciated!

I assume you're using RT's built in ___Approvals queue and workflow.
If so, just set the Owner based on the Building selection.  You can do
that from the CreateTickets action with something like
Owner: {
if ( $Tickets{TOP}->FirstCustomField('Building') eq 'Building 1' ) {
go look up the principal and return it
} etc etc etc
}

Then just make sure that Owner has ShowTicket and it'll limit to the
people who actually own the ticket.

-kevin