[rt-users] RT 4.0.8 still not receiving incoming tickets via email on ubuntu

Edsall, William (WJ) WJEdsall at dow.com
Fri Nov 16 13:22:50 EST 2012

Incoming mail is a manual process to grab the mail from exchange, then pass it through mailgate.

Here's what I used to achieve incoming mails via Exchange.

I used fetchmail with the IMAP protocol - also the ssl flag was necessary for our server.

Fetchmail command:
fetchmail -f /var/www/html/rt/bin/fetchmailrc --ssl -B 10 --nokeep

While testing fetchmail I used the -c flag so it would just check the mailbox. Upon success it will give you a count of the number of emails in the box. Also use the -v for verbose output while testing.
Until this command reflects a successful connection to your email server, it's not going to work.

Example fetchmailrc -- replace all <vars> with your own values:
poll <Your_Exchange_Server> protocol imap:
username <USERNAME_HERE> password <PASSWORD_HERE> mda "/var/www/html/rt/bin/rt-mailgate --url http://<Your RT URL> --queue '<queue name here>' --action correspond"

Once you get the settings correct, toss the fetchmail script into crontab and have it check regularly.