[rt-users] RT 4.08 Account creation

John Johnston johnj at msu.edu
Wed Nov 21 13:24:11 EST 2012

Hi,

I've installed RT 4.0.8 on a RHEL 6.2 system and overall it's working
fine with one notable exception.  We authenticate users with Shibboleth,
and once so authenticated they are able to create tickets.  First time
users have their accounts auto-created.  We had a previous instance of
RT 3.0.7 and used perl-based forms for ticket creation.  Auto-creation
of accounts worked fine, with the displayname, email, and userid
returned from Shibboleth and passed to RT.  However, these same forms
when used on RT 4.0.8 while they *do* create the account if it doesn't
exist, and it does set the "Name" to the email address, the
"EmailAddress" itself and "RealName" are left blank.

This means that users cannot get email on their tickets (confirmatory or
otherwise), unless an administrator goes in, selects the account, and
manually adds the email address.  I've tried several workarounds,
including doing a mysql query to see if the account exists, and if not,
to create it using an RT CLI command encased in backticks.  This is
contained in our "contact" ticket creation form.  I've experimented with
several options, including escaping the "@" in the email address.
Recently, I used Encode to ensure the values obtained from Shibboleth
were converted into UTF-8 before being passed to the RT CLI command, and
this *sort of* worked.  Interestingly, it added the account but dropped
the letter "e" from the mymail.edu address (to leave mymail.du).  Also
interesting, is if I bypass the Shibboleth values and hard code in an
email address like:

my $clean_email = "skippy at mailme.edu"

And pass it to the RT CLI command like:

$result = `/opt/rt4/bin/rt create -t user add Name=$your_netid
EmailAddress=$clean_email `;

...again, it works fine.

I've been banging my head on this for awhile.  Any insights would be
appreciated.

John