[rt-users] Large Attachments Table

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Fri Oct 12 01:38:49 EDT 2012

On 10/11/2012 07:32 PM, shayne.alone at gmail.com wrote:
> Dears;
>
> I am thinking about a better backend for 'attachments' to be stored on,
> instead on Mysql and InnoDB engine.
> is there any try out to force things like couchDB
> <http://couchdb.apache.org/> into RT?

CouchDB is primarily a document storage engine.  RT uses attachments for
two major "types" of data: textual replies/comments/emails and binary
data.  For many reasons the textual data should almost certainly stay in
the SQL database as long as the rest of RT's data is in that database
(access control, searching, performance, etc).  That leaves you with the
binary data, which isn't a very good fit for a document storage engine
like CouchDB.

At the point when you need to seriously consider moving binary
attachments out of the SQL database, it's very hard to beat to the
filesystem.

There's a _lot_ you can do to tune MySQL/PostgreSQL/Oracle database
performance and backup strategies before it's time to look for
completely alternate solutions.