[rt-users] Setting ticket properties with SetXXX instead of _Set, but SILENTLY

Scotto Alberto al.scotto at reply.it
Sun Oct 14 12:19:51 EDT 2012

As Thomas recently pointed out [1], _Set should never be used. Instead, you should use SetXXX public methods.
Ok, but what if I need to set some properties without recording a transaction for it, in order not to trigger scrips?

http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/WriteCustomAction#How_to_be_silent
This is the reading that led me to use mostly _Set in my custom scrip actions.
Shoud it be corrected?
I think we should al least add a disclaimer like "But beware that using _Set may cause strange behaviour".
The best would be to put a list of the properties that is safe to set with _Set, and those that are not. If any!
For example, I think that Priority, InitialPriority and FinalPriority are safe, as I think they're just a column in Tickets table. While Owner is not safe, as it's not just a column in Tickets table [1]

[1] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/rt/users/112479#112479

Thanks

Alberto Scotto

Blue Reply
Via Cardinal Massaia, 83
10147 - Torino - ITALY
phone: +39 011 29100
al.scotto at reply.it
www.reply.it

[Blue Reply]

--
The information transmitted is intended for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.