[rt-users] Apache taking up too much CPU

Chris Herrmann chrisherrmann7 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 20:14:43 EDT 2012

Try dropping the number of worker threads that apache is running. If it runs out of memory you'll see things like mail gate failing to send emails. On our system we had to trim this down (sorry I can't remember the exact apache2.conf settings im on my phone) but the problem for us was that apache would sometimes try to allocate far more memory than the box had (far more than 613mb... But our system is also far busier). Dropping this number helped immediately and has been great ever since.

You will possilbly also need to tune MySQL to use a limited memory footprint.

Given the cost of memory its unusual to see a box with that little ram these days; rt (and indeed just apache / MySQL) will be far happier with more memory.

Let me know if you want me to dig up the exact parameters we changed and I'll look for them later tonight.

Chris Herrmann
Far Edge
+612 84251400
+614 03393309