[rt-users] Look up User by Attribute in Scrip

Thomas Sibley trs at bestpractical.com
Fri Oct 26 22:56:17 EDT 2012

On 10/26/2012 04:52 PM, Ram wrote:
> Hey folks,
> I'm writing a scrip to help us manage our voicemails in RT. The
> voicemails arrive via email as attachments and the extension of the
> recipient is the only distinguishing characteristic in the email. How
> can I load an RT user in a script given only their work telephone?

You want the LoadByCols method provided by DBIx::SearchBuilder::Record.

my $user = RT::User->new( RT->SystemUser );
$user->LoadByCols( WorkPhone => "1234" );

if ($user->id) {
     # loaded!
} else {
     # couldn't find that user...
}

Note that WorkPhone isn't forced to be unique, so you should make sure
that you keep it unique if you're going to load by it.