[rt-users] sendmail error (exited with code 75) - RHEL6

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Tue Sep 4 11:08:44 EDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Raphaël Berlamont
<raphael.berlamont at raphux.com> wrote:

> OK for this first error, but the second one disappears as soon as I restart
> apache, and RT work flawlessly for minutes/hours (depending on load maybe) :
> ================
> "[Tue Sep  4 09:34:43 2012] [error]:
> <rt-4.0.7-1945-1346751283-749.7324-10-0 at myfirm.com>: `/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi
> -t -f edos at myfirm.com` exited with code 75

Error code 75 is "EX_TEMPFAIL", which is sendmail telling you that a
temporary error occurred.  The message is queued, but it can't be
delivered immediately, but it will retry when it can.

http://www.diablotin.com/librairie/networking/sendmail/ch36_05.htm

I can't think of any reason why sendmail thinks it needs to tell the
mail user agent (MUA) this.  Mail Transfer Agents (MTA) like sendmail
should do queuing and retrying automatically.  If anybody needs to be
told that it's temporary failing, it's the sysadmin, not the mail
sender.

--
http://www.linkedin.com/in/paultomblin
http://careers.stackoverflow.com/ptomblin